So today, being National Lasagne Day, I'm sharing with you a recipe by one of the most dedicated family men I have the privilege of knowing: Darryl Koster of Buster Rhino's BBQ. His recipe is unique in it's short list of ingredients (including his secret Southern brisket!), yet it's unusual components perfectly mesh into a delicious, rich, cheesy whole. If you're fortunate enough to live near an area that carries his sauce (or even better, his establishment's meat!) you definitely should check it out!
Do you have a favourite family recipe you enjoy cooking with each other, or for each other?
Buster's BBQ Lasagne
1 tbsp olive oil
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
6 oz cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup red wine
1lb cooked, Southern BBQ Beef Brisket, chopped
6 cups spaghetti sauce (Darryl uses homemade, for NI purposes I used Prego traditional)
12 oz fresh Mozzarella, shredded
1 cup grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb lasagne noodles, cooked just shy of al dente and drained
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pan.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and pepper, continue cooking until the onions are caramelized.
- Stir in red wine to deglaze the pan and set aside.
- Coat the bottom of a 9 x 13" dish with sauce.
- Layer noodles, sauce, vegetables, brisket, mozzarella cheese and Romano cheese until everything has been used.
- The top of the lasagne should be 1 layer of noodles, a thin layer of sauce, and all the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a nice brown crust has formed on the top, rotating the pan 1/2 way through the baking time.
- Let rest 10 minutes before cutting.
Total Fat: 27.7 g
Cholesterol: 97.6 mg
Sodium: 1,627.0 mg
Total Carbs: 62.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 6.1 g
Protein: 39.0 g