That last week, though, with two packs of ground turkey breast in the freezer and a spare evening at home, I re-taught myself how to make meatballs... with a twist. These were basically the "miser's meatballs", since they used up a bunch of odds and ends in the pantry - including wholegrain waffles and a can of kidney beans (ah, the great protein-stretcher). The idea to use the beans came after some creative Googling landed me on the blog With a Freshness, followed by Taste.com.au's version. The breakfast waffles, left abandoned after being "too toasted" for the kids' preference as morning snack, made a fantastic binder - just like I had seen on Gluten Free Goddess. Bits and pieces of veggies, high protein gluten flour, a couple eggs and a handful of Italian-themed seasonings made up the rest of the mixture, which looked eerily like ground beef at the end even though it started life as pale ground turkey.
I scooped a few mini-meatballs onto the trays before getting the "lightning bolt" idea to give it the "piping bag" treatment instead - squeezing balls onto the sheets through the corner of a Ziploc really sped up the tedious process of making over 100 balls! By pre-baking them, I eliminated the chance of being rushed the day of using them and undercooking them by accident, and it also helped them stay together when I braised them in the homemade tomato sauce I had canned last year. In short, they were absolutely fantastic - I just wish I had reason to make them again!
This #SundaySupper is all about bringing breakfast back... to every meal of the day. A well made breakfast is a thing of beauty, so why confine it to a period of time when almost nobody is awake enough to appreciate it? I don't know about you, but I'd be a glad dinner guest at any of our group's homes tonight!
Here's what's cookin':
- Tres Leches Pancakes from La Cocina de Leslie
- French Toast Casserole with Sautéed Apples from The Foodie Army Wife
- Gluten Free Breakfast Pizza from Blueberries And Blessings
- Basic Vegan Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Kale, Bacon, Brown Rice Crustless Quiche from Shockingly Delicious
- Bacon Egg and Potato Breakfast Tacos from Cookin’ Mimi
- Steak and Egg Tostadas from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Breakfast Bowls from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Bacon and Egg Waffles from The Urban Mrs
- Homemade Lox from Growing Up Gabel
- Seattle Sandwiches (Lox, Shmear, & A Fried Egg) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Bacon & Brie Potato Bread Strata with Roasted Pears from Eat, Move, Shine
- Saucy Ham and Cheese Breakfast Sliders from Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Frittata from Casa de Crews
- Elderberry Flower Pancakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Prosciutto, Gorgonzola and Rosemary Strata from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Italian Turkey Meatballs (With a Secret) from What Smells So Good?
- Bacon, Spinach and Tomato Breakfast Pizza from Runner’s Tales
- Red Pepper and Egg Galette from Healthy. Delicious.
- Waffles – One Plate, Two Ways: Sweet & Savory from Foxes Love Lemons
- Steak & Egg Bagel Sandwich from girlichef
- Florentine Benedict from Supper for a Steal
- Oatmeal Ice Cream from Treats & Trinkets
- Banana Waffles with Peanut Butter Syrup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Baked Berry French Toast from Table For Seven
- Open Faced BTC Sandwich from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Crustless Spinach Quiche from The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Bacon ‘n Eggs Bread Pudding from gotta get baked
- Denver Breakfast Ring from Curious Cuisiniere
- Copycat Japanese McDonald’s from Ninja Baking
- One Pan Full English Fry-up from Food Lust People Love
- Crumpets with Whipped Orange Honey from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Leek, Mushroom and Gruyère Quiche from Hip Foodie Mom
- Joe’s Special, the Original San Francisco Treat from Webicurean
- Dark Chocolate, Orange & Pistachio Greek Yogurt Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Gluten Free Tomato Basil Crepes form No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Sour Cherry Crisp from Pies and Plots
- Cream Dried Beef and Waffles from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage breakfast casserole from My cute bride
- Almond Rice Crepes Stuffed With Sweet Potatoes & Peas from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Zucchini Pancakes with Sautéed Tomatoes and Feta from Ruffles & Truffles
- Apple, Bacon, and Dubliner Cheese Stuffed French Toast from Neighborfood
- Dulce de Leche Stuffed French Toast from Basic N Delicious
And of course, here's what's drinkin':
- Hangtown Fry and Wine Pairings with Breakfast for Dinner from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here
Italian Turkey Meatballs (With a Secret!)
Makes about 110 small meatballs, serves 22 (5 meatballs each)
¼ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
4 whole grain waffles, well toasted (or 4 slices toasted bread)
¼ cup vital wheat gluten flour
1 (19-oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 small red pepper, chopped roughly
3 sundried tomatoes in oil, drained
3 tbsp green peas, thawed if frozen
2 tsp onion powder
1 clove minced garlic
½ tsp fennel seed
1 tbsp salt free Italian seasoning
1 tsp Kosher salt
½ tsp pepper
1 kg ground turkey breast
- In a food processor, combine the breadcrumbs, waffles and flour. Process until finely ground, then pour into a bowl.
- Add the beans, pepper, tomatoes, peas, eggs and seasonings to the processor (no need to clean) and process until completely pureed.
- Add the breadcrumb mixture and puree in.
- Place the ground meat in a bowl and add the food processor mixture. Combine thoroughly with a spatula.
- Scrape into a plastic zip-top bag and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line 3-4 baking sheets with parchment.
- Cut one corner off the plastic bag and pipe balls (about 1” in size) onto the sheets.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes, until no longer pink inside.
Total Fat: 4.4 g
Cholesterol: 49.0 mg
Sodium: 178.4 mg
Total Carbs: 8.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.5 g
Protein: 12.7 g