Well, okay, it's not quite baseball season yet, but that doesn't mean the weekend television offerings are devoid of sports. Where we are it's all about the hockey games (or massacres if you're a TML fan like my stepdad), but the star of the show this weekend is undoubtedly the Superbowl. Millions of fans, billions of dollars and an entire afternoon dedicated to a single sport - it's remarkable the things the human race does for fun, no?
I'll admit I've never watched a Superbowl game... heck, I don't think I've ever watched a football or a professional hockey game all the way through in my entire life. I just can't get into the "sports mentality" that surrounds the events, but that said... it's hard to pass up the party they bring along! It might be a mostly US "thing" to tailgate (I have yet to see any tailgaters for any event in Toronto) or host Superbowl parties, but if they're anything like the nights my stepfamily kicks off their hockey pool drafts you need three things: good friends, good beer and a lot of good food! That's what this week's #SundaySupper is celebrating - all sorts of good game day eats and drinks. Since I don't know any group that can throw a party down quite as well as ours, it's sure to be a blast! Our host this week is Heather of Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks. Thanks Heather!
My offering is a little twist on the classic Cracker Jack candy... an easily veganized, sweet, salty and nutty combination that uses ground up popcorn instead of big ol' kernels and is baked into a wafer-like "break up" confection. It's almost like a peanut butter granola bar - but with chopped peanuts and coarsely ground popcorn in place of the oats!
Now... I’m not telling you what to do with the (inevitable) crumbs, but this would make a delicious breakfast cereal (or ice cream topping!) in addition to out of hand nibbling. Let me know what you would do with your own bag of goodness!
Game Day Appetizers:
- Honey Mustard Pretzel Crunch from Shockingly Delicious
- Salt and Vinegar Wings from Casa de Crews
- Saucy Wings and Thighs from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Macaroni and Cheese Spring Rolls from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Steak Rolls from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Alpine Sliders from Manu's Menu
- Hellfire Wings from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Easy Nacho Bar from Momma's Meals
- Jalapeno Popper Taquitos from Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Game Day Guacamole Potato Skins from Daily Dish Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Cups from Alida's Kitchen
- Spinach-Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers from La Cocina de Leslie
- BBQ Veggie Mini Burgers from Happy Baking Days
- Spicy Roasted Corn Shrimp Dip from Food Lust People Love
- Honey-Sriracha Pigs in a Blanket from Hip Foodie Mom
- Beer Cheese Fondue from Melanie Makes
- Cheesy Artichoke and Garlic Bread from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Whole Wheat Pepperoni Pizza Bites from Meal Planning Magic
- Personal Chili Pots from MealDiva
- Italian Spring Rolls from Noshing with The Nolands
- Mexican Meatballs with Queso Blanco from Cooking on the Ranch
- Parmigiano Crisps from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Buffalo Chicken Potstickers from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mediterranean Nachos from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Chinese Barbecue Wings from girlichef
- Mini Veggie Quesadillas from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Tomato Hummus from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cashew Baba Ghanoush : Roasted Eggplant Dip from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip Potato Skins from Family Foodie
- Lemon Bay Pan Roasted Shrimp from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventure
- Honey Sesame Seed Crackers from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
Game Day Entrees:
- Super Sloppy Joes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Buffalo Chicken Chili from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Mini Meatball and Mozzarella Sandwiches from Cookin' Mimi
- Super Bowl Bento from Ninja Baking
- Vegetarian "Chorizo" and Black Bean Chili from Foxes Love Lemons
- Twice Baked Chili Cheese Potatoes from Neighborfood
- Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Easy Vegetarian Chili from Delaware Girl Eats
- Game Day Chili from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Dr. Pepper Turkey Chili from The Texan New Yorker
Game Day Desserts:
- Heavenly Hash Cookies from The Foodie Patootie
- Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Streusel Bars from Magnolia Days
- Coffee Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Squares from Desserts Required
- Microwave Caramel Popcorn from Pies and Plots
- Mini Coconut Cups from Basic N Delicious
- Triple Chocolate S'mores Brownies from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cracker Jack Candy from What Smells So Good?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Cracker Jack Candy
Makes 11 (1-oz) servings
1/4 cup unpopped popcorn kernels (about 8 cups popped, 2.4 oz), preferably air-popped
3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
3 tbsp amber honey or amber agave nectar (for vegan)
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
2 tbsp chopped peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 200F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a food processor, coarsely grind the popcorn until it is in little “balls”.
- In a large bowl in the microwave, combine the peanut butter, honey and sea salt. Microwave for 2 ½ minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Immediately add the popcorn and peanuts, stir well and spread onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Store it in an airtight container.
Total Fat: 3.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 21.8 mg
Total Carbs: 10.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.4 g
Protein: 2.2 g