Such is the case with this soup. A coupling of the desire for a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs soup after coming in from the rain and the gorgeous colours of a bounteous harvest, pretty much our whole garden and fridge stock found its way into the pot. Eggplant, zucchini, carrots, onions, tomatoes and herbs came straight from the backyard (freshly rain-washed, I might add), while locally-grown kale, garlic, leeks,and cauliflower met up with organic tofu to round out the rest of the broth. For a bit of a richer, "gourmet" edge, I tossed in a Parmesan rind as well, and finished the works with a handful of whole grain pasta. Whether freshly made or reheated the next day, it's a fabulous way to bid the height of the growing season farewell for another year and hunker down for the Winter with the jars of home-preserved goodness I made this season (recipes appearing here soon!).
We're celebrating the bounty of squash this week for #SundaySupper, be it the Summer goodness of zucchini, crookneck and pattypans, or the Fall / Winter pumpkin, acorn and butternut varieties. Alice of A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen and Christy of Confessions of a Culinary Diva are co-hosting this week. Thanks ladies!
Starters – Appetizers & Cocktails:
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie in a Glass from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pancakes from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
- Zucchini Tomato Focaccia Bread with Pretzel Salt from Family Foodie
Pickles & Relish:
Soups & Salads:
- Creamy Dairyfree Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli e Zucchini from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pumpkin Soup with Bacon and Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camillia
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Zucchini Noodles with Basil Vinaigrette from Ruffles and Truffles
- Acorn Squash Ramen from Ninja Baking
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Millet Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce from Simply Healthy Family
- Chorizo-Stuffed Zucchini from La Cocina de Leslie
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Risotto with Butternut Squash, Chicken and Sage from Cooking Chat
- Sausage and Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Kabocha no Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet and Savory Roasted Delicata Squash and Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler with Cornbread Topping from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Sweets to Start or End the Day:
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes from Brunch with Joy
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Buns with Cookie Butter Glaze from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Tofu Vegetable Soup
12 oz extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and cubed
pinch black pepper
¼ tsp Cabernet (or regular kosher) salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 large leek, sliced
1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
1 (extra) large zucchini, diced
1 large carrot, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 cups chopped cauliflower
10 cups water
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, but definitely use if omitting Parmesan rind)
rind from 1 wedge Parmesan (optional)
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 sprig fresh rosemary, whole
2 tsp basil
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Cabernet (or regular kosher) salt
1 cup whole grain small-cut pasta (use a GF pasta if desired)
1 small bunch kale, shredded
- Toss tofu, pepper and ¼ tsp Cabernet salt in a bowl until coated.
- Place the oil in the bottom of a large, heavy pot and place over high heat.
- When shimmering, add the tofu in one layer and brown on all sides. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, leeks, eggplant, zucchini and carrot. Cook until softened and browned, adding a touch of water if things stick too much.
- Stir in the garlic, tomatoes and cauliflower and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Add water, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, Parmesan rind, herbs and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove the Parmesan rind.
- Stir in the salt, tofu and pasta. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until pasta is cooked.
- Remove from heat and stir in kale until wilted. Serve.
Total Fat: 8.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 348.0 mg
Total Carbs: 34.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 9.0 g
Protein: 12.7 g