So, when the time came to introduce my grade 1-3 classes to the wonderful treat that is homemade granola, I kept the premise the same. Together, we concocted a hearty, healthy and crunchy breakfast cereal that was delicious enough to eat straight from the bowl with a spoon while being full of good-for-you ingredients, from thick rolled oats and oat bran to blood-sugar controlling cinnamon, calcium-rich tahini and sesame seed, B-vitamin stacked sunflower seeds and home-dried apple rings. Without an oven (or the time to slow-bake our mixture), I turned the recipe into a stovetop creation - making it not only a lickety split move from mixing bowl to cereal bowl, but one you can enjoy warm over ice cream (granted, it won't be as crunchy right out of the pan). Leftovers (if there are any) last a good long while in the freezer too - and I won't judge if they "fall into" a pint of vanilla fro-yo while they're in there.
For #SundaySupper this week, we're compiling all the healthiest recipes we can concoct in celebration of Heart Health Month. From healthy cereals like this one to nutritious and hearty mains, and even a few sweet treats, there's something for everyone!
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Orange-Mango Smoothie with Lime & Ginger by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers and snacks:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Grilled Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
Healthy is the centre of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa by Having Fun Saving
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola
Makes about 4 cups, 8 (1/2 cup) servings
3 tbsp tahini
1 ½ tbsp canola oil
¼ cup dark amber honey
3 cups thick-cut rolled oats
1 cup oat bran
1 tbsp cinnamon
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup diced dried fruit (I used home-dried apples)
- Combine the tahini, oil and honey in a deep skillet over medium heat.
- When the mixture starts to simmer, add the oats, oat bran, cinnamon, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds to the pot and cook, stirring often with a spatula, for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the raisins or apples.
- Pour onto a large, greased cookie sheet and allow to cool.
- When cool, transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature up to 2 weeks, or freeze up to 3 months.
Total Fat: 13.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 143.5 mg
Total Carbs: 39.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.7 g
Protein: 8.2 g