Of course, the end of the school year also means that it's... dun dun dunnnnn... swimsuit season too. And if you're planning on donning one of those ensembles, you're probably thinking that those sweet treats you're craving are off limits. Well, I concocted a pan of goodness that's not only indulgent, but vegan, lower sugar and made with whole spelt flour!
The theme this month is Chips, Chunks or Bits! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links. Please be patient though, as this month Laura is off to Italy and will not be checking email quite as often!You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes--be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Banana Pudding Bars from Study at Home Mama
- Cherry and Chocolate Chip Scones from Spiceroots
- Chocolate Andes Mint Chip Cookies from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Stout and Pretzel Cookies from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Flourless Dark Chocolate Espresso Oatmeal Cookies from Rhubarb and Honey
- Gourmet Iced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Hazelnut Espresso Cookies from 2 Cookin' Mamas
- Lemon Bits Oatmeal Cookies from Our Good Life
- Nibbed Caramel Blondies from What Smells So Good?
- Nutty Bits Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Peanut Butter Chunk Cookies from Noshing With The Nolands
- Rocky Road Cookies from Upstate Ramblings
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Strawberry n White Choc Chunk Blondies from Baking in Pyjamas
- Trail Mix Cookies from Holly at A Baker's House
- Uncle Hector's 100 Cookies from Food Lust People Love
Nibbed Caramel Blondies
Adapted from Vegan Chocolate: Unapologetically Luscious and Decadent Dairy-Free Desserts
Makes one 9" pan, 12 pieces
⅔ cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp vinegar
¼ cup canola oil
¾ cup vegan caramel sauce
½ cup xylitol
2 tbsp vanilla
1 cup spelt flour
¼ cup coconut flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ cup mini chocolate chips
¼ cup chocolate covered cacao nibs
- Heat the oven to 350F and grease a 9" square pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together almond milk, vinegar, oil, caramel, xylitol and vanilla.
- Add the flours, baking powder and salt, mixing just until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and cacao nibs.
- Scrape into the pan and bake for 20-22 minutes, until firm and beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool completely in the pan.
Total Fat: 9.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 33.3 mg
Total Carbs: 27.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.6 g
Protein: 2.3 g