Even if the garden isn't playing nice, the farmers markets almost always do! In addition to the two we have in my city, there's an almost 100% organic market about 45 minutes away that consistently blows me away every year. Late in the season last year, I came across a drastically marked-down box of local peaches and plums there at the end of the day - slightly blemished in the sense that they had tree marks, a tiny bruise, or an indent caused by growing too close to the tree. The peaches were eaten in short order - chopped up over bowls of oatmeal or dry cereal or cooked into Purely Peach Jam.
Turning to the plums, though, I didn't really feel like doing the fresh eating thing. I'm a fan of plums when they're warm and caramelized in pies, muffins and cakes, though - and when it comes to Summer cakes, the simple, single-layer buttermilk variety that I've riffed off time and again still takes precedence. This time around I went full-on Summertime sweetness, roasting corn kernels to pepper the cornmeal batter, tenderizing the works with a hearty dose of buttermilk and a couple egg yolks and lightening the richness just a tad with a touch of lemon zest. The pinky-purple hue of the sliced fruit looked ever brighter against the golden yellow batter, and the combination sang whether it was barely cool enough to unmould, room temperature or reheated and topped with a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt.
For #SundaySupper this week, Coleen of The Redhead Baker is hosting our motley crew of nostalgic Summer recipes. Whether the recipes are inspired by traditions (like my annual market sojurns resulting in this cake) or the same treats made year after year without fail, the list is nothing short of heartwarming, inspiring and hunger-inducing!
- Blueberry Lavender Lemonade by Beauty and the Beets
- Natural Pink Pineapple Lemonade by Food Lust People Love
- Rhubarb Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gazpacho Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled BLT Kebabs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Strawberry Fruit Dip by Books n’ Cooks
- Classic Shrimp Roll Sliders by Crazed Mom
- How to Cook Hot Dogs by Our Life Tastes Good
- Wiener Schnitzel by Caroline’s Cooking
- Baked Beans by Magnolia Days
- Creamy Ranch Potato Salad by Dash of Evans
- Grilled Zucchini Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Seven-Layer Salad with Bacon and Peas by The Hungry Goddess
- Southern Fried Squash by Peaceful Cooking
- Spätzlesalat (German Spaetzle Pasta Salad) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Summer’s Best Tomato Cucumber Salad by Delaware Girl Eats
- Ambrosia Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Bavarian Almonds by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Cobbler by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Boardwalk Funnel Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Buttermilk Pound Cake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- DIY Drumsticks by A Mind Full Mom
- Double Corn Buttermilk Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Frosted Grapes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free S’mores Magic Bars by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Homemade Banana Pudding by Cooking with Carlee
- Homemade Drumsticks by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Melon Ice Cream by Ninja Baker
- Lemon Coconut Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Lemonade Pie with Sugar Cone Crust by Dizzy, Busy and Hungry
- Lime Poke Cake by Our Good Life
- Maple Sugar Candy by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Rhubarb Cake by Monica’s Table
- Nana’s No-Bake Cheesecake Squares by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Pudding Pops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sherbet Float by Cookin’ Mimi
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Jello Pie by Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota
- Tita’s Fruit Dessert by Basic N Delicious
- Toasted Coconut Puppy Chow by Helpful Homemade
- Watergate Salad by Flavor Mosaic
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Double Corn Buttermilk Cake
Makes one 9" cake, 12 slices
1 cup fine-ground cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
¼ cup whole milk
1 tbsp vanilla
zest of 1 lemon
2 egg yolks
⅓ cup canola oil
1 ¾ cups flour
1 ½ tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup sugar
1 cup roasted fresh corn kernels
1 plum, sliced thinly
- Preheat the oven to 375F, grease a 9" springform pan.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, combine cornmeal, buttermilk and whole milk, stirring well.
- Microwave on HI for 30 seconds, stir and allow to sit 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla, lemon zest, egg yolks, whole egg and oil.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, stirring until just blended.
- Fold in the corn.
- Spread in the pan and top with sliced plum.
- Bake 35 minutes, until tests done. Cool in the pan.
Total Fat: 7.8 g
Cholesterol: 47.5 mg
Sodium: 63.9 mg
Total Carbs: 35.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 5.4 g