Remember how I mentioned back in my Grape and Ground Cherry Crumble Pie with Potato Pastry Crust post that the crust mixture would likely be too heavy to readily use as a topper? Well, guess what - I went ahead and did it anyway, and it worked! Granted, I took a few steps to make sure everything for this sweet little pot pie turned out well: I chose a sturdier fruit (cooking apples) and rolled the top crust as thin as I could. When it baked up it was light, crispy and almost flaky, though I wouldn't dare say it was as good as my mom's (which uses shortening) or my Grandma's (which uses lard).
I took a different turn than usual with my apple filling as well - normally I just peel, slice and plop in the fruit, but this time I sauteed the apples in a dash of water first and then cooked them to a silky firm-but-tender state in a couple spoonfuls of Crab Apple Jelly. Because I was only making a small "pot pie" sized pastry (I was giving it to my Grandma who was having a few friends over), the bake time was a little less than standard, but I like the smaller serving size - it's cute and you don't have to think about leftovers! Since I had another apple and some "bottom of the jar" jelly on hand after the pie was in the oven, I did the whole saute thing again and poured it back into the jar for a "double apple" jam / pie filling - no waste!
This #SundaySupper event is all about the apple - check out the sweet and savoury offerings on the menu tonight!
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel - Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite apple recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!
Double Apple Pot Pie
Serves 4, makes one 5" deep dish pie
1/2 recipe Potato Pastry Dough (see this post)
2 large cooking apples (like Spy or Granny Smith), peeled and sliced thinly
3 tbsp crab apple jelly
1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 5" pot pie plate with 2/3 the pastry and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, saute the apple slices until they begin to colour.
- Stir in the jelly and cinnamon and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, until the apples are soft and glazed well with the jam.
- Spoon into the pastry shell.
- Roll out the remaining dough thinly and place overtop of the apples.
- Crimp the edges and dock the top crust several times with a fork or knife.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake on the lowest rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Total Fat: 5.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 80.6 mg
Total Carbs: 110.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.5 g
Protein: 2.2 g