I think of my mom's apple pie (I'm on an apple pie reminiscing kick these Sundays) which was literally crust (flour, shortening, salt, vinegar, water) and apples. That was it. No fancy-pants techniques, no caramel (though I hear it is delicious), no gooey starch-thickened binder - just apples. Likewise with my Tomato Confit, Soused Strawberries and Blueberry Butter - not much else is going on other than showcasing the main ingredient.
This always goes double (or triple) when a fruit or vegetable is in season here - our growing season is pitifully short, which means that local fruit and veggies are there and then they're gone in a flash. Finding ways to keep the goodness of everything lasting throughout the year usually means a mixture of freezing, canning and drying - from tomatoes to berries and grapes to apples and peaches. When I happened across a great deal on fresh "seconds" Ontario peaches at the farmer's market, I couldn't resist - I bought six pounds of them. I knew what I didn't eat right away wouldn't last very long, but I had a plan. Actually, two plans - this smooth, sultry butter and a killer peach jam which I'll share soon!
Here's our quick and simple lineup!
Breakfast, Starters, Butters and Jams:
- Pa Jun or Korean Scallion Pancakes – Kimchi Mom
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal – Home Cooking Memories
- GlutenFree Apricot Bacon Onion and Cheese Spread or Dip – Cooking Underwriter
- Caprese Bites – My Catholic Kitchen
- So Simple Pizza Puffs – Hip Foodie Mom
- Toast Topper #11: Allspice Peach Butter – What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Balsamic Jam – The Messy Baker Blog
- Fresh Basil and Tomato Pasta – I Run For Wine
- Gulasch – Galactosemia in PDX
- Spaghetti with Kale and Sausage – Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Appley Kielbasa – The Meltaways
- Shrimp Stuffed Potatoes – Juanita’s Cocina
- Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches – Supper for a Steal
- Sun Dried Tomato and Sausage Pasta – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Chipotle Honey Lime Pork Tenderloin – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Roasted Shrimp With Chili-Lime Sauce – Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Noodles – In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinated Flank – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Beef Tenderloin with Stilton Pecan Butter – Noshing With The Nolands
- Herbed Butter Pork Chops – Brie’s Bites
- Creamy Ham Linguine – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Pesto, Tomato & Feta Pizza – Momma’s Meals
- Quick Black Bean Burritos – Diabetic Foodie
- Lumachine with Fresh Parmesan and Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Stuffed Shells – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Potato Kugel – From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Garlic Butter Fried Rice – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Goat Cheese Alfredo – Family Foodie
- Roasted Moroccan Rack of Lamb – Maroc Mama
- Sweet and Nutty Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes – Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Baked Sweet Potato with Maple-Jalapeno – Comfy Cuisine
- Freezable Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwiches – Big Bear’s Wife
- Grilled Polenta Cakes – Lovely Pantry
- Nutella Ice Cream – Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Mint Ice Cream with Mint M&M’s – The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Mango Parfait with Greek Yogurt & Silvered Almonds – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Honey Macaroons – Pippis In the Kitchen Again
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt – Damn Delicious
- Homemade Caramel Sauce – Chocolate Moosey
- Easy Chocolate Chilli Fudge – Soni’s Food for Thought
- White-Chocolate Raspberry Puff Pastry Doughnuts – The Weekend Gourmet
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars – In The Kitchen With KP
- Broccoli and Feta Frittata – Kwistin’s Favorites
- Chocolate-Caramel Ice Cream – Basic N Delicious
- Pumpkin and Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake – Baker Street
- Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn – Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Five Most Food Friendly Wines – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite 5 Ingredient Recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!
This is also submitted to Ricki's Wellness Weekend, Gluten-Free Monday and Gluten Free Fridays
Allspice Peach Butter
Makes about 2 1/3 cups, 20 (2-tbsp) servings
5 large peaches, washed and pitted (no need to peel)
1/4 cup peach juice (or water, or orange juice)
1/4 tsp allspice
- Puree all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into a saucepan and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- Pour the reduced peach mixture into a small casserole dish and bake 4 hours longer (stir once an hour or so during cooking).
- Let cool slightly (or completely, but it's good warm too!) then smear on your favourite toast, bagel or muffin and enjoy!
Total Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 0.5 mg
Total Carbs: 4.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
Protein: 0.3 g