For this jam, I was inspired when I opened my freezer for some baking seeds and found a bag each of peeled, chopped peaches and blueberries that I had frozen in peak season. It was a somewhat odd combination to me, but I figured I'd give it a go! For some reason finding those bags of fruit reminded me of some chopped apples I had dried earlier in the year as well, so I decided to toss them into the pot for a bit of textural contrast and an unusual "bite" of flavour. A few spices followed - traditional cinnamon and vanilla, as well as the more unique cardamom (quickly becoming my favourite with fruit) and a pinch of black pepper for good measure. The mixture set up nicely and would have kept over a month in our fridge... if it had lasted that long!
Sent to Foodie Fridays , Gluten Free Mondays and Gluten Free Fridays
Chunky Blueberry Peach Jam
Makes about 6 cups, 48 (2-tbsp) servings
19 oz (about 5 medium) peaches
12 oz blueberries (2 1/3 cups)
1/2 cup diced dried apple
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 cups "jam sugar" with added pectin (I used Redpath's QuickSet for Jam)
1/2 tbsp vanilla
- Combine all the ingredients but the "jam sugar" and vanilla in a heavy saucepot.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until berries begin to burst.
- Raise heat to a boil and add the sugar.
- Boil hard for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Ladle into jars and process 15 minutes in a water bath.
Total Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 1.2 mg
Total Carbs: 16.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.5 g
Protein: 0.1 g