But when I have it all ready to go in the freezer, prime sweetness is mine for the taking! With my latest jam I combined the sticky sweetness of Niagara peaches, frozen strawberries from two towns over (frozen in May) and local honey for a brilliant pink concoction, then spiked it with a shot of peach schnapps for good measure! The only crystalline sugar I used was a few tablespoons to dissolve the pectin, since the Pomona's version I used didn't have any fillers to ensure even distribution through the fruit (and nobody likes lumps of pectin on their morning toast!). Smeared onto a toasted heel of bread, it was everything about the warm weather that I (and my mom) love... I can only imagine how delicious it would be spread between layers of limey sponge cake!
Strawberry - Peach Jam
Makes 1 pint, 16 (2-tbsp) servings
2 cups halved strawberries
1 ½ cups peeled, diced peaches
⅓ cup honey
2 tbsp peach schnapps
2 tsp calcium water (from Pomona's pectin)
2 tbsp superfine sugar
2 tsp Pomona's pectin
- In a saucepan, combine the strawberries, peaches, and honey.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, until berries and peaches begin to break down.
- Stir in the schnapps and calcium water and bring back to a boil.
- Whisk the sugar and pectin together and add to the boiling liquid.
- Boil, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Can 10 minutes in a waterbath or spoon into a jar and refrigerate.
Total Fat: 0.1 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 0.4 mg
Total Carbs: 10.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
Protein: 0.3 g