For Mother's Day, it's always hard for me to figure out what to do for my mom, since she's not one who enjoys going or eating out all that much (and she loathes shopping). I'm ashamed to say the past few years have garnered her only a card and an apology, and unless I'm struck by an epiphany soon this one will be no different. However, I do know a few edible ways through to my mom's heart (that aren't chocolate - shocking!). She's an indiscriminate carb-lover at heart, who would probably murder any dietitian who told her to adopt an Atkins-style diet. She's also a major veggie-holic (like her daughter!) and recently re-discovered a love of yoghurt, as a snack, a condiment and in main dishes.
So, while I can't make meals just like mom's, I can make her something that she'll enjoy on "her" day - comforting, indulgent-tasting (but surprisingly healthy), and packed with veggies, carbs and yoghurt - not to mention enough leftovers for good "take to work" meals too! I'll even do the dishes.
This #holidayfoodparty is celebrating moms far and wide, with 13 recipes that are perfect for the special day. Check out all the offerings below and say hi - after you call your mother!
1. Coconut Cupcakes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
2. German Apple Cake from Magnolia Days
3. Baked Lemon Pasta with Broccoli and Shrimp from What Smells So Good
4. Cinnamon Pear Cake from Roxana's Home Baking
5. Strawberry Whiskey Sour from Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
6. Huevos Rancheros from Crumb Blog
7. Triple Lemon Cake from Created by Diane
8. Banana Chocolate Chip Bread from Chocolate Moosey
9. Lemon Thyme Shortbread from Jen's Favorite Cookies
10. Pineapple Coconut Sweet Rolls from Pineapple and Coconut
11. Caramilk Stuffed No-Knead Brioche from Gotta Get Baked
12. Mom's World Famous Sponge Cake from Hungry Couple NYC
13. Brown Butter Pecan Fudge Ripple No-Churn Ice Cream from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Baked Lemon Pasta with Broccoli and Shrimp
2 tbsp butter
4 leeks, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ lbs medium-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups blanched broccoli florets or 1 cup frozen green peas (no need to thaw)
1 whole lemon, juiced and zested
1 cup plain non-fat Greek yoghurt
1 lb. semolina linguine (or broad egg noodles), cooked and drained
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp white pepper
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the garlic and shrimp and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat and add broccoli, peas, half the lemon juice and all the yoghurt. Mix well.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the pan and add the salt, peppers, and half of the Parmesan cheese. Toss to combine.
- Pour the spaghetti into a greased 9 x 13” pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, until touched with brown.
- Sprinkle with remaining lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Serve hot.
Total Fat: 6.3 g
Cholesterol: 138.9 mg
Sodium: 221.9 mg
Total Carbs: 52.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.6 g
Protein: 29.7 g