I was originally inspired to make this tangy, veggie-heavy dip by the bounty of local corn leftover from a school "Corn Roast" fundraising dinner. Since our garden at the time was still churning out tomatoes and peppers by the bucketload, it was a natural application for me, since aside from the onion, black beans and limes, there was nothing to buy (apart from a bag of corn tortilla chips for serving - I knew the kids would not take as kindly to topping cucumber rounds or simply using a spoon like I did). A batch of this salsa was decimated by each class of 10 (plus myself and my assistant), but under normal circumstances it would last a good week or so in the fridge too. I know I made another batch later on that my mom and I enjoyed mixing into pasta or rice, rolling into tortillas and (in the case of mom) mixing into taco-spiced ground beef for a quick weeknight dinner.
Using the "Kitchen Test" by Andrew Wilder of Eating Rules as our guidebook this week, the #SundaySupper group is embracing an unprocessed lifestyle today. The kitchen test breaks down like this:
Unprocessed food is any food that could be made by a person with reasonable skill in a home kitchen with whole-food ingredients.
So, basically, we're cooking like we should have been all these years - fresh and nutritious, and better tasting for it too! Our host this week is the Foodie Stuntman himself, DB. Thanks!
Alluring Appetizers and Stunning Sides
- Brioche Dinner Rolls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Stuffed Peppadew Peppers by An Appealing Plan
- Homemade Fennel-Maple Mustard by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sweet Potato Noodles & Brussels Sprouts Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Whole Grain, No-Knead Sourdough Bread by Peaceful Cooking
- Sweet Potato Fries by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Indian Spiced Dal and Sag Aloo by Happy Baking Days
- Homemade Energy Bars by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Thyme Chicken by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Sweet Potato and Carrot Hash by Fit Foodie Runs
- Roasted Parsnips and Carrots with Cardamom and Maple Syrup by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Spicy Smashed Fingerling Potatoes by Magnolia Days
- Autumn Panzanella by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa by What Smells So Good?
- Curried Apple Chips by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Stuffed Acorn Squash by Rhubarb and Honey
- Homemade Hash Brown by Basic N Delicious
- Raw Salted Chocolate Chip Oat Healthy Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Basic Roasted Cauliflower by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Baked Beet Chips by The Dinner-Mom
- Crispy Tex-Mex Quinoa Patties by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Authentic Chicken Tinga by Shockingly Delicious
- Jacket Potato Party by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Mom's Homemade Vegetarian Meatballs by The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Chicken and Sweet Potato by MealDiva
- Chinese Five Spice Chicken Stir Fry by Nosh My Way
- Easy Slow Cooker Chili by Amee's Savory Dish
- Coconut Chicken Tenders with Honey Mustard Dip by Casa de Crews
- Grilled Burgers with Garlicky Arugula by Cooking Chat
- Baked Zucchini with Spicy Tomatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Fall Squash Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Momma's Meals
- White Bean Pesto Stew by eating in instead
- Seared Pork Stack by annaDishes
- Gnocchi with Peas and Pesto by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin & Sausage Pasta by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Raw Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Vegan Mini Chocolate Cream Cakes by NinjaBaking.com
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blondies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
1 ½ cups corn kernels, thawed if frozen
1 cup no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 red bell pepper, diced
¼ large red onion, diced
2 plum tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp torn or minced cilantro
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl and fold together gently with a spatula.
- You can serve this immediately, but I like it better after sitting at room temperature (covered) for an hour or so for the flavours to blend.
- Cover leftovers with plastic wrap and store in the fridge.
Total Fat: 0.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 11.6 mg
Total Carbs: 16.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.1 g
Protein: 4.0 g