One of the ingredients I've been really focusing on this year is beetroot - when the last of my Lutz harvest came in at the end of October, I had more baseball-sized, perfectly flavourful and tender specimens than I knew what to do with! I ate a ton in salads and rice bowls (beets are delicious with salted brown Basmati), pickled a few, pureed a handful into soup, roasted and froze some more, and finally turned the remainder into this sweet, spicy and versatile condiment. The sweet earthiness of my homegrown beets made a perfect backdrop for other bright flavours, from spicy homegrown radishes, mustard seeds, onions and (of course) a good glug of red wine.
While the relish was great freshly made, I do have to admit that I preferred after it sat a few days in the fridge, when the flavours had mellowed into a more homogeneous whole. It's incredibly versatile to boot - while it's a natural pairing with fried or poached eggs, it goes well with broiled salmon, grilled chicken (or roasted turkey!) and even topping grilled cheese sandwiches!
This #SundaySupper is hosted by DB of Crazy Foodie Stunts and Alice of A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen and focuses on any and all libation-themed recipes. Along with the requisite drink concoctions, we also have a bevy of mains and desserts waiting for you! What's your favourite way to enjoy a tipple? Let me know!
- Big Easy Milk Punch by The Weekend Gourmet
- Blue Sparkling Star Cocktail by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Boozy Iced Spanish Coffee by Nosh My Way
- Campari Mint Spritzer by eating in instead
- Cranberry Moscow Mule by Ruffles & Truffles
- Creamy, Loaded Eggnog by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Malibu Breeze by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Merry Berry Spritz by Amee's Savory Dish
- Minty Lime Rum by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Pomegranate Panache by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Rhubarb Fool Cocktail by Food Lust People Love
- Southern Pomegranate Sparkler by Noshing With The Nolands
- Sparkling Pomegranate Berry Punch by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Vanilla Bailey's With A Twist by Momma's Meals
Savoury and Sweet Libational Dishes
- Apple Bourbon Pulled Pork Sliders by Curious Cuisiniere
- Beerberry Pancakes by Brunch with Joy
- Beet Relish by What Smells So Good?
- Belgian Beef Stew with Belgian Ale by Cooking On The Ranch
- Brandied Triple Cheese Ball by Magnolia Days
- Champagne Chicken by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Cornish Game Hens with Sausage Red Wine Sauce over Polenta by The Texan New Yorker
- Craft Beer Jelly by Nik Snacks
- Eggnog Dutch Baby Pancakes with Cranberries by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Hot Buttered Rum Balls by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Lentil Soup with Wine Braised Shallots by Pancake Warriors
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs by Cooking Chat
- Amaretto Coconut Biscotti with Amaretto Salted Caramel Drizzle by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Amaretto Cranberry Swirled Cheesecake by The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Baked Pears with a Warm Tequila-Citrus Espuma by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Bourbon Cranberry Compote by Pies and Plots
- Caramelized Banana Upside-Down Rum Cake by Wallflour Girl
- Chocolate Stout Beer Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Dumante Frozen Espresso Creams by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Honey Chamomile Hot Toddy Tea Cake by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Kahlua Bundt Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Red Wine Poached Pears with Ricotta and Balsamic Glaze by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Rum Glazed Cookie Cream Buns by NinjaBaker
- Tiramisu Biscotti by The Redhead Baker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Adapted from NQN
Makes 3 ½ cups, 28 (2 tbsp) servings
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, shredded
⅔ cup brown sugar
¼ cup water
½ cup dry red wine (I used Shiraz)
½ tsp allspice
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ginger
⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp salt
500g beets, shredded
3 large radishes, shredded
- Heat a dry saucepan on medium to high heat and add the mustard seeds. Cook until they start to pop.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the oil and onion. Cook, stirring, until translucent.
- Add the sugar, water, wine, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, vinegar, salt, beets and radishes, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook 20 minutes, then uncover and cook 20 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Process 20 minutes in a water-bath canner, or store in the fridge up to 1 month.
Total Fat: 0.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 181.8 mg
Total Carbs: 8.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g
Protein: 0.4 g