But I digress, and I must get back to the cooks before I cry from the stress and pass out! Enjoy the yumminess of this cake for me though - it's filled with spices, pineapple and (what else?) carrots! It doesn't rise very high, so if you're wanting a showstopper dessert I'd double the batch and make 4 layers. Me, I just wanted two things - 1) a de-stresser, and 2) to get the carrots out of the house!!
The worst part about making this cake wasn't it's low rise or the time it took away from me studying, but the fact that my mom's told me not to bake anymore until I de-stress... go figure!
Plain Old Carrot Cake
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tbsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups coarsely grated carrot
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, undrained
1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease and flour two 9" round cake pans.
- Beat together eggs, sugars, oil and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Fold in carrot and pineapple, mixing well.
- In another bowl mix flours. baking soda, baking powder and spices.
- Beat flour mix into the wet ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Bake 30 minutes, cool completely in pans on a wire rack before frosting.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 10.2 g
Cholesterol: 35.4 mg
Sodium: 30.5 mg
Total Carbs: 30.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 3.1 g