I chose to discover Sweden through cookies this month, and found a spicy, not too sweet concoction on 101 Cookbooks. With a few adaptations, I added whole spelt and psyllium to the rye flour and pumped up the cardamom a touch too. These cookies are tender from cream cheese in the dough and get a hint of contrast from coarse sugar on top - all in all, a perfect treat to accompany a creamy mocha or spiked hot chocolate in the afternoon.
This #CreativeCookieExchange, If it is a cookie traditionally made somewhere in the world for a holiday traditionally observed near the Winter Solstice you might find it on this list. If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes--be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Almondy Delites from Indian Curries/stew
- Besitos de Coco - Coconut Kisses from Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Chip and Mandarin Orange Cookie Bars from NinjaBaking
- Zimsterne - German Christmas Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Norwegian Almond Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Pecan Linzer Cookies from Sweet Cinnamon & Honey
- Polish Vanilla Hazelnut Crescent Cookies (Ciasteczka Waniliowe) from The Spiced Life
- Rugelach from A Baker's House
- Stained Glass Cookies from Spiceroots
- Swedish Rye Cookies from What Smells So Good?
Swedish Rye Cookies
1 cup rye flour (ideally dark)
1 cup whole spelt flour
1 tbsp psyllium husk powder, spelt bran or oat bran
1 tsp cardamom
½ tsp salt
½ cup cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp water
large grain sugar (for sprinkling)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, psyllium, cardamom and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese, butter and sugar.
- Beat in vanilla until well blended, then add flour mixture and combine, adding just enough water to make a cohesive (relatively stiff) dough.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the oven to 350F and line cookie sheets with parchment.
- Roll the dough out to about 1/4" thick, and cut into shapes.
- Sprinkle each cookie with sugar.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, until set and slightly golden at the edges.
- Cool on the sheets.
Total Fat: 5.6 g
Cholesterol: 15.6 mg
Sodium: 42.1 mg
Total Carbs: 9.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 1.5 g