Ironically, I've never been one to crave snickerdoodles, but somehow fell in love with the idea of cinnamon bars. However, for me if there's cinnamon there needs to be raisins, and a richly flavoured base as well to enhance it's natural sweet and spiciness. Taking a cue from my previous blonde goodies and a basic recipe from Inspired Taste, I dialed up the batter with nutty, almost butterscotchy maca powder and chickpea flour, then packed in some raisins along with a glug of Goldschläger for good measure. They are definitely my preferred version of the classic cookie!
The theme for this month's #CreativeCookieExchange is Drunken Cookies! Cookies made with booze and/or inspired by booze, we have them all! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links. You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes--be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Rosemary Bourbon Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Smoked Sea Salt from The Spiced Life
- Tipsy Chocolate Cherry Cookies from Our Good Life
- Cherry Blossom Tea Cookies from NinjaBaker
- Cinnamon Raisin Blondies from What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Macarons with Bourbon Praline Buttercream from Sweet Cinnamon & Honey
- Amaretto Tricolor Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Whiskey Raisin Oatmeal Bars from Food Lust People Love
- Frosted Orange Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Coffee and Irish Cream Sandwich Cookies from Spiceroots
- Chocolate Chip Guinness Cookies from Upstate Ramblings
- Amaretti Biscuits from A Baker’s House
- Bourbon Creams from Baking in Pyjamas
- Chocolate Rum Balls from Noshing With The Nolands
- White Chocolate Chip & Frangelico Hazelnut Cookies from Made With Love
- Nutella Bailey's Cookies from Basic N Delicious
Adapted from Inspired Taste
Makes one 9" pan, 16 pieces
½ cup salted butter, melted
1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp amber honey
¾ cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
3 tbsp non-fat Greek yoghurt
1 tbsp vanilla
pinch kosher salt
¾ cup spelt flour
¼ cup chickpea flour
¼ tsp baking powder
2 tbsp maca powder
½ cup sultana raisins, soaked in 3 tbsp Goldschläger (or other cinnamon schnapps)
- Heat oven to 350F and line an 8” square pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the butter, cinnamon, honey and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Add egg, yoghurt, vanilla and salt, blending well.
- Add the flours, baking powder and maca powder, blending to incorporate well.
- Fold in the raisins (along with any leftover boozy liquid).
- Scrape into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before cutting.
Total Fat: 6.3 g
Cholesterol: 27.1 mg
Sodium: 52.8 mg
Total Carbs: 26.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.4 g
Protein: 2.3 g