But I digress... I'm sure there are others out there who have been in the same boat. My friends in KP wound up in a group together *jealous* and a couple weeks ago they made this recipe for a baked chicken and pasta casserole. It's been scaled down from a foodservice recipe in our textbook to serve 8, and it's a pretty healthy and economical meal too! Everything is baked together in one dish and leftovers freeze wonderfully, so you can make the whole recipe and portion it up for later dinners where it's too late or busy to bother hauling out pots and pans.
Though I couldn't taste test, I did bring home a gratuitous amount for the rest of the family, and it got some pretty good reviews with them! I'll give you the "real" recipe (i.e. not what my group did) for our assignment after the long weekend, since it uses pre-cooked poultry which all of us Thanksgivingites will have plenty of!
Pink Macaroni, Chicken And Pea Casserole
16 oz dry whole wheat macaroni
1/4 cup water
1 small onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz raw skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
1/2 cup frozen peas
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
6 oz tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup cold water
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups 1% milk
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
3 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, cook the pasta 4 minutes. Drain, but do not rinse. Pasta should still be firm.
- Heat water in a large non-stick pan. Saute the onion, pepper, and garlic until tender.
- Add chicken, cooking until almost done.
- Add in the peas, spinach, tomato paste, and water.
- Continue to cook, stirring, until chicken is no longer pink. Season sparingly with salt and pepper and remove from heat while preparing bechamel.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Mix in the stock and milk, season with pepper.
- Whisk the cornstarch and water until smooth, then stir into sauce.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the mozzarella, and cook until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked pasta with 1/2 the bechamel sauce.
- Mix the chicken saute with the remaining bechamel and parsley in another bowl.
- Place half the pasta in a foil-lined baking dish, then top with half the chicken mixture, and half the remaining mozzarella.
- Add the remaining pasta, chicken and bechamel.
- Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Total Fat: 6.0 g
holesterol: 26.9 mg
Sodium: 670.2 mg
Total Carbs: 61.4
Dietary Fiber: 7.7 g
Protein: 22.2 g