I had actually bookmarked this recipe by Chocolate Covered Katie ages ago - looking spectacularly rich and fudgey, it takes a longtime reader of her blog to know that things on there are almost always healthier than they seem! I served this cake on two separate occasions - one immediately after baking, the other after being frozen for a month or so - and both times my taste testers commented on it being like a dark, moist "almost brownie" with the tiniest hint of nutty flavour from the almond milk and hazelnut oil. I don't think I ever told anyone that anything healthy was tucked inside either... not that it would change their opinion!
This time, not only will you find my usual players of whole wheat flour and stevia, but a new twist (even for me) - blanched, pureed cauliflower! The perfectly neutral vegetable is everlastingly moist and tenderizing, adding volume, fibre and nutrients without the sulfuric notes of simple cooked crucifery. It worked so well with steamed florets, in fact, that I can't wait to try my hand at a cake with roasted cauliflower for even more nuttiness - but that's another day. For now, I'll settle for a big ol' piece of "fooled me once... give me another (and maybe one more) try".
Let's see what the rest of our #SundaySupper group cooked up for an April Fool's Day #SundaySupper!
- Pina Colada Smoothie by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Beer Jelly by Brunch with Joy
- Berry Smoothie Incognito by Lifestyle Food Aristry
- Mashed Potato Sundaes by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Roasted Broccoli Dip by Cooking Chat
- Honey Nut Baked Brie Bloomin’ Apple by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Sides & Snacks
- Shepherd’s Trifle by The Joyful Foodie
- Sneaky Veggie Spaghetti Sauce by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Meatloaf “Cupcakes” with Mashed Potato “Frosting” by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- April Fools’ Strawberry Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo & Peas by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Pad Thai with Zoodles by Nosh My Way
- Middle Eastern Roast Chicken with Green Harissa by The Texan New Yorker
- Beef Avocado and Tomato Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Fake-out Sliders and Fries by The Redhead Baker
- Pot Luck Chili Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Fool by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon and “Egg” Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti and Meatballs Cupcakes by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Poutine by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chocolate Cauliflower Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Fudgy Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Fruit Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Mud Pies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gluten Free Joker Cakes by Gluten Free Crumbley
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.